Twopart mortgage

The two-part mortgage is actually the easiest to arrange—especially if you are unable to obtain the money for a pledge. In this program, the buyer purchases the property with two mortgages: the first mortgage is for 70%-80% of the purchase price, while the second mortgage is for the remaining 30%-20%.

The most common example of this approach is the 75-25 program. The first mortgage is for 75% of the purchase price, while the second mortgage covers the remaining 25% of the price.

  • Example purchase price of $200,000.
  • A first mortgage of $150,000 would be a 75% loan-to-value (LTV) loan.
  • A second mortgage of $50,000 would be a 25% LTV loan.

The first mortgage loan in this two-part plan must be a non-conforming program, because conforming programs require some down payment to come from the borrower. Because the 75% first mortgage is non-conforming, its interest rates will be about 2.00% to 3.00% higher than market rates.

The second mortgage will always have a higher interest rate—especially when they absorb all of the property's equity. You should routinely count on the second mortgage's interest rates to be at least 1% to 3% higher than the non-conforming first mortgage.

However, remember that the borrower can subsequently consolidate both mortgages into one loan—at a lower, market-level rate. Thus, the borrower fulfills both the short-term and long-term goal indicated earlier: purchase the property with no down payment, then refinance to a more cost-effective, profitable loan.

Was this article helpful?

0 0
Real Estate Essentials

Real Estate Essentials

Tap into the secrets of the top investors… Discover The Untold Real Estate Investing Secrets Used By The World’s Top Millionaires To Generate Massive Amounts Of Passive Incomes To Feed Their Families For Decades! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Investing Tools For Creating Financial Freedom And Living A Life Of Luxury!

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment